- 5 lb chicken
- 2 chopped celery sticks
- 3 thickly sliced carrots
- 2 onions cut in 4 pieces
- 1 turnip cut into thick slices ½ cup mushrooms
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup pasta (wholemeal)
- Salt and black pepper
- Whole wheat bread
- Start by cutting all excess fat off the chicken and then place it in a casserole dish with all the herbs and vegetables.
- Add enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Once the water has started boiling, lower the temperature and simmer for approximately 2.5 hours.
- Once cooked carefully carve the chicken and be sure to get rid of the skin and bones. Small remaining pieces of chicken can be placed back into the pan.
- Serve the tender chicken with some of the cooked vegetables.
- The remaining broth in the pan can be stored and left to chill for use the next day. Before storing it remove any large pieces of thyme and parsley.
- When you are ready to prepare your next dish remove the broth from the refrigerator and first remove the fat that would have solidified on the top.
- Reheat the soup. Once it starts boiling add the pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a few slices of whole wheat bread.